Building a Great Place to Work
Covanta’s commitment to developing sustainable solutions for society and the environment attracts ambitious employees who want to make a positive difference in the world. We offer employees en-gagement opportunities, recognition for excellence and competitive compensation and benefits. This in turn creates an open and supportive workplace environment in which anyone can thrive.
Connecting with our Employees
Our commitment to sound environmental practices and sustainability in our business practices is driven by our leadership and our business strategy. Whether protecting the safety and health of our coworkers, leading continuous improvement activities, interacting with our communities, or operating our facilities efficiently, our employees drive our business. We deliver on our business mission by fostering a strong safety culture and building a respectful, engaged workforce that champions diversity and inclusivity and engages with the communities in which we work. Below are some of the ways in which we engage employees:
- Maintain Covanta Connect intranet site to share information, provide learning tools and post employee resources.
- Publish Direct Current, our monthly internal employee newsletter, to share stories, announcements, awards and employee achievements.
- Provide annual performance reviews, peer mentoring and feedback opportunities.
- Conduct periodic and frequent structured training exercises in safety, health and environment (SHE), environmental sustainability, health and wellness, diversity and inclusion and business ethics.
- Feature electronic bulletin boards at convenient locations in facilities to share information and provide messages from senior leaders.
- Host monthly departmental discussions to provide updates and answer questions.
Finally, we maintain open and collaborative relationships with our union partners. Covanta respects employees’ rights to freedom of association and collective bargaining.
PLACEHOLDER FOR WHAT IT’S LIKE TO WORK AT COVANTA VIDEO
Promoting Employee Growth and Recognition
All full-time and part-time Covanta employees participate in annual performance reviews with their managers to jointly determine professional strengths and opportunities for development. Employees review and submit individual accomplishments, receive and provide feedback, and discuss individual and organizational goals with their managers. Based on these conversations, employees may undertake targeted training to address competency gaps, such as learning new workplace processes, strengthening communication skills, or improving interpersonal and management skills.
Caring for our Employees
Joining Covanta means not only belonging to a collaborative team working on exciting and challenging tasks, but also having access to a variety of employee tools and benefits, such as:
- Health and wellness benefits, including medical, prescription drug, vision, dental and savings plans.
- A 401(k)-retirement plan, including company contributions and company matching contributions
- Free financial coaching.
- Adoption assistance.
- Programs and resources for employee well-being and assistance.
- Annual Incentive Program that awards bonuses based on company, facility and individual performance to all full-time employees who are not part of collective-bargaining agreements.
In addition to company paid holidays and paid time off, Covanta allows eligible employees during summer months to work a longer day for up to four days per week (subject to the unique and complex schedules of our facilities), in return for a half-day off that week.
For more about our approach to employee engagement, please see our 2020 Sustainability Report.