Building a Great Place to Work
Covanta’s commitment to developing sustainable solutions for society and the environment attracts ambitious employees who want to make a positive difference in the world. To create an open and supportive workplace environment where they can thrive, we offer employees engagement opportunities, recognition for excellence and competitive compensation and benefits.
Connecting with our Employees
Carefully listening to our employees and finding effective methods to gather their input and feedback are an important part of Covanta’s culture. On a regular basis throughout the year, we identify meaningful ways to connect with our employees and to gather their input and suggestions. For example, we:
- Maintain an intranet site, Covanta Connect, to share information, provide learning tools and post employee resources;
- Publish a monthly internal employee newsletter, Direct Current, to share stories, announcements, awards and employee spotlights;
- Feature electronic bulletin boards at convenient locations in facilities to share informative content and video messages from senior leaders; and
- Host monthly departmental discussions (for example, the Supply Chain team) to provide updates and answer questions.
Finally, we maintain open and collaborative relationships with our union partners. Covanta respects our employees’ rights to freedom of association and collective bargaining. As of the end of 2018, seven percent of our approximately 4,000 employees were covered by collective bargaining agreements.
Promoting Employee Growth and Recognition
All full- and part-time Covanta employees participate in annual performance reviews with their managers to jointly determine professional strengths and development opportunities.
Employees review and submit individual accomplishments, receive and provide feedback, and discuss individual and organizational goals with their managers. Based on the discussion outcomes, employees may undertake targeted training to address competency gaps, such as learning new workplace processes, strengthening communication skills or improving interpersonal and management skills.
Caring for our Employees
When employees join the Covanta family, they quickly discover that they not only belong to a collaborative team working on exciting and challenging tasks, but also have access to an array of comprehensive employee support tools and benefits, such as:
- Health and welfare benefits, including medical, prescription drug, vision, dental and savings plans;
- Tax-advantaged accounts to help pay for qualified health care expenses, including Flexible Savings Account and Health Savings Account options;
- A 401(k) retirement plan including company contributions and company matching contributions;
- Free financial coaching;
- Adoption assistance;
- Programs and resources for employee well-being and assistance; and
- Annual Incentive Program that awards bonuses based on company, facility and individual performance to all full-time employees who are not part of collective bargaining agreements.
In addition to company paid holidays and paid time off, Covanta allows flexible schedules in the summer months by allowing eligible employees to work a longer day for up to four days per week (subject to the unique and complex schedules of our facilities), in return for a half-day off that week.